Garlic scapes that is!
For years, I never knew what a scape was, or that it’s a wonderfully edible ‘by-product’ of the beloved garlic. Garlic is a member of the genus, Allium(onions, leeks, and chives also belong to this family). The garlic scape is a shoot that sprouts from the underground garlic bulb. Scapes are ready to be harvested when they lengthen and begin to straighten out from their natural looping tendency.
With most things that sprout, harvesting when the shoot is young will produce a more tender and delicate outcome. It is best to harvest the scape when it is bright green. Waiting until it is white, or pale is actually taking away energy and life force from the garlic growing below; resulting in smaller bulbs.
There are a ton of ways to use scapes.
Being 100% Italian, there is never a shortage of where this delectable bulb stalk can be tucked in. Garlic scapes are a welcome flavor addition chopped raw and added to stews, salads, stir-fry or casseroles. The flavor has a fresh, light and ‘green’ overtone to the familiar garlic sensation.
So let’s get cooking, shall we!
Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto
10 garlic scapes(diced)
1/3 cup walnuts(or pine nuts)
1/2 cup olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
1/3 cup raw cashews, 1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast, pinch of salt, black pepper to taste, 1-2 Tablespoons of HOT water
Place scapes and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and whiz until well combined and somewhat smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil and process until integrated. With a spatula, scoop pesto out of bowl and into a mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper.
In the same food processor bowl, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Process until mixed and slowly add the hot water. Pulse until combined(use a spatula to clear the sides, so all is throughly mixed). Add this mixture to the first bowl, stir by hand.
This can be spread on baguettes and toasted under the broiler for an amazing garlic bread, or added to your favorite cooked pasta with fresh garden tomatoes chopped atop & a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Still hungry for more?
Garlic Kale Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner(or paper towels).
- Add 1/3 cup of the vegan garlic scape pesto(above). Massage the pesto into the greens(your hands are the best option…now that’s Italian)!
- Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake until the edges brown for 10 to 15 minutes(flipping 1/2 way through). Watch carefully so the edges do not burn. The chips should be light and crispy when done baking. Enjoy!